Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sleepless in Spokane

This morning Alexis came into my room with a very serious look on her face and her nostrils flared a bit and said "Mom, I think that Jacob is nocturnal." Keeping as straight as a face as I could I asked her why she thought this. "Because on my 'Goodnight Shows' Nina says that things that stay awake all night are called nocturnal." I could not argue with her, in a way she is right. Jake is definitely a fan of the wee hours. So I just answered, " You might be right and you are very smart to recognize the similarities between wild animals and your brother." To that she turned and walked to the living room for her morning cartoons.









These nocturnal nights however, have become my norm and I find myself pacing the living room with a very wide awake 16 day old boy while the rest of the house-and my brain-are quiet and fast asleep. While it is frustrating to be so damn tired it is also blissful to share those private moments looking into his curious eyes.



My body is adjusting to the lack of sleep and other physical demands this new little critter has placed upon me. I am healing well from the C-Section, still not back to my old self, but getting there. In another three weeks I will be able to drive my self around again.
It is now eleven p.m. and Jacob has woken up right on cue. Time to go punch in for another sleepless night.

No comments: